the time to read them...

Books I have read. More for me than for you, but I guess that depends on who you are. If you stalk me, than this will probably be more useful for you than me.

Saturday, April 29, 2006

Freakonomics



Lots of people rave about this book and it deserves it. It juxtaposes a lot of situations you might never have thought similar, but statistically they are. Like Chicago Public School teachers and sumo wrestlers!

It also has some pretty provocative things to say about abortion, namely that in Romania and the US, the more abortions the less crime. This is obviously simplified, but it's that kind of talk which makes Bill O'Reilly take notice. Were I to need more convincing about why women should have the right to abortion (which for the record, I don't think I could BE more pro-choice, I mean I am even okay with late-term abortion, which even most liberals won't touch with a ten foot poll) this would totally have done it. Basically this section is about how women who don't think they are ready to have kids are --SHOCK-- usually RIGHT! Wowie.

That is only one section of the book though, although personally the most compelling. It's been blown a little out of proportion though. There's an interesting comparison of crack dealing and traditional business hierarchies that is good too.

Mainly the book is aabout how conventional wisdom is mostly not based on facts. I firmly agree with that and argue it in almost every conversation I have, much to the chagrin of my friends, I am sure. So I liked this book a lot!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home