the time to read them...

Books I have read. More for me than for you, but I guess that depends on who you are. If you stalk me, than this will probably be more useful for you than me.

Friday, February 17, 2006

The Plot Against America



I like Phillip Roth. But the more of his books I read, the more I think they are all the same. I say things like "oh here comes the awkward, disturbing masturbation scene!" or "hey, more jewish se;f-hatred!" So, why might I read this book, which is all about Jew hate? :)

Well I liked the concept. First it's 1930s-40s historical. And about Hitler. I like that. And it's a speculative history book. I love that. And it's based on how Roth's own family would have reacted to these situations in the fake history. That's such a great idea.

And all of these things in the book are great. The ascension of fascist Lindbergh becoming president and turning the US into a Nazi ally is a great theme.

But you have to stuggle through a lot of boring stuff along the way. A lot of it is day to day family stuff that is sort of irrelevant to the historical setting. Basically I liked the book, but I wish more would have been made of the great setting Roth made for himself. And it was waaaaay long. There were very long, descriptive passages/internal monologues that were sort of like a non-funny more neurotic Woody Allen monologue. Too much.

3 Comments:

  • At 1:03 PM, Blogger Heidi said…

    I read that a couple years ago for an online book group. The discussion sucked. I think it was the first book that made me realize that there are a weirdly disproportionate number of novels out there written about the Jewish experience, fictional or otherwise.

    Thanks for that Johari thing. Interesting.

     
  • At 7:31 PM, Blogger jenny bento said…

    so are you saying there is a zionist literary conspiracy?

     
  • At 8:37 PM, Blogger Heidi said…

    yes, they dominate the media don'tcha know?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home