the time to read them...

Books I have read. More for me than for you, but I guess that depends on who you are. If you stalk me, than this will probably be more useful for you than me.

Saturday, May 06, 2006

Are Men Necessary? by Maureen Dowd



I started actually liking this book, and thinking is was funny. But I ended up yawning, wincing at Dowd's REALLY annoying voice, and mainly wishing this book had less politics and more facts.

This book is a lot of small blurbs. Some blurbs are really interesting. Those usually have references and are based on actual research. Then there's a whole bunch based on a few people the author is friends with who she interviewed. As i cannot relate to super rich, very urban late 30s/40s dating, I have no idea whether her assertions are true or not, and, more importantly I do not care. Since the chances of me going on dates with people who make hundreds of thousands of dollars at places where I have to buy expensive ball gowns is near nill, and that is so far removed from 90%+ people in the world, I don't really find any interest in reading about it. Another HUGE group of blurbs is about the presidency (Clinton and Bush II). This last group was least interesting to me. First, it was mainly really dated. Second, it was basically Dowd's personal opinion, which is fine I guess, but not really convincing to me. Mainly I just thought "Yes, Bill Clinton got a blow job OVER TEN YEARS ago now, why do I care?"

Mainly all of the situations and personal experiences detailed in the book are so far removed from most anyone I might ever meet.

Then, I found the book ended abruptly, with the title question, and I had no idea how that title fit in to the entire section. So mainly, I am totally confused at the end.

At least the cover is spiffy.

2 Comments:

  • At 5:43 PM, Blogger Idun said…

    I agree -- the cover would have caught my eye. Why do super rich party girls who spent the 90s coked out on their backs think everyone lives like that?? Of course, I CAN answer the title question for you -- necessary, no; Still fun to have around, yes. :-)

     
  • At 9:26 PM, Blogger jenny bento said…

    I agree!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home