the time to read them...

Books I have read. More for me than for you, but I guess that depends on who you are. If you stalk me, than this will probably be more useful for you than me.

Tuesday, January 03, 2006

33 1/3 Velvet Underground

I like the VU in an obsessive way. My favorite albums of theirs are demos which feature them redoing a song over and over again for 30 mins. I even like Nico.

Understanding that, I loved this book of course. It read so quickly. Still I would not recommend it unless you are 1. a huge VU fan or 2. an intense audiophile. If you enjoy 10 page discussions which try to figure out how many tracks a certain album was recorded on, using private investigation-like detective work, then this is the book for you. i don't know anyone who like the VU enough to recommend this book, but I know maybe one person who might get something out of it. I haven't read any other full 33 1/3 books so I am hoping to to see how this one compares.

Mainly I did love the histories of particular songs that the book ended with, but it made me realize that this is not my favorite album by them and I do wish there were other songs covered. But then I imagine this would have been a longer book!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home